Wednesday, April 27, 2011

what the hell is a push present?

Seriously, what the hell is a push present?  Last night I got in bed with my usual routine of turning on the TV and tuning into whatever reality show is on Bravo.  Last night’s showing happened to be “Pregnant in Heels”.  I wasn’t overly ecstatic about the show but figured it was good enough to get me snoozing.  To my dismay this wasn’t the case at all.

I just started to fall asleep when I heard the lady on TV say something to the effect of “…and don’t forget you’ll get your ‘push present’.”  Milliseconds later I found myself and John Eric both sitting up in bed looking at each other with our jaws in our laps and disgust written all over our faces.  (No, it was not due to an uninvited bodily function.)  Once I realized he’s thinking what I’m thinking I exclaimed, “Did she really just say that!?”  Naturally, John Eric responded with, “What in the hell is a push present?” followed by “[Dang] ya’ll got us every-which-way ya’ll can.”  Normally (being the bull head I am) I would have contested that second line of his with “What do you mean by ya’ll?” and my best head snap but I was too delighted in the fact that we were on the same page...and I was too busy trying to convince myself that for sure a ‘push present’ wasn’t the obvious.  To Google I go and yes it is the obvious - a gift given by the father to the mother who just gave birth to their new child.  


I hope I never catch myself asking a friend what they got as a push present.  If you catch me, slap me.  

I awoke this morning still disturbed and I have to say that I find it ridiculous that a push present has become a ritual and conventional enough to be expected.  Umm...what about THE BABY!?  Isn’t that exciting enough?  What happened to being excited about the miracle of life and family?  The same seems to go for weddings as well these days – girls are so worried about doing something different and having a wow factor that they forget what the day is all about.  In case you are one of those, the day is about the sanctity of marriage and having your loved ones there to celebrate with you – not to put on a show or county fair.  I get so baffled watching those shows starring bridezillas.  I also turn it before throwing the remote at the TV.  

There I go again on a tangent…but it wouldn’t be a true post by me if I didn’t.  I guess I felt like ranting today because I still can't get over this concept.  Please forgive me.  I hope I didn’t offend anyone and I certainly don’t think this applies to all women (or even any women in my life).  I just think it is so sad that we have actually come to this.  I feel like everything special in life is being trumped by foolishness.  However, please allow me to not be hypocritical because if I were to get a push present I wouldn’t necessarily be sending it back (unless it’s purple).  But I also probably wouldn’t notice a stupid push present because the most amazing gift that day (and everyday) are those from God.  Am I the only one that feels like our country is so lost sometimes?  When did we get so far away from our values and so obsessed with materialistic items?  Since when has your husband, your children, and your family not been enough?  Would we really care about a stupid push present if we weren't going to be asked about it?  No, we wouldn't.  If we couldn't have the biggest party or best location would we still get married?  Yes, and it would still be amazing and people who love you still would be there and they would still talk about how sweet and special things were.  We need to merge The Bible, Martha Stewart and Joan Rivers into one and have a major eye opener.  Or I could just do it.  I may be harsher than Joan-ey though.  And then I wouldn't have any readers. : )   Aye yi yi another tangent...that should be my third middle name.  My point is, we need to be excited about what we are blessed with and not what we expect. 


Don't get me wrong, over-the-top weddings (I mean the crazy stuff you see on tv) are still amazing and a thoughtful gift anytime from your husband is always special and sweet.  But being able to be happy with the simple things in life is the best blessing of all.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I am actually curious about one thing, could you be so kind and please tell us your place of birth?

    ReplyDelete