Saturday, May 7, 2011

where do you get it from?

Do you ever wonder where in the world you came from?  Lately people have been asking where my creativity and writing ability came from.  For those of you who don't know me, I have never portrayed the slightest bit of creativity.  I mean I used to make a Snoopy out of the number 25 & draw bunnies for my Grandmama when I was little, but that was about as far as it got.  Truth be told I really don't know.  Well, I guess I sort of know.

Here's the scoop.  I literally made straight 100's in my math classes - not A's - 100's.  Russell Smith would call me "curve buster" and oh how I hated that!  I didn't mean to do it, it just happened.  Don't close the window yet, I am not bragging, just explaining.  English and Creative Writing were another story.  I literally never made anything but a C in those classes.  Every semester - no matter what.  ERGH!  Naturally, I loathed the subject.  I always wonder how in the hell I came out of my mother's womb, who finished college with an English degree and was once pursuing a career as a journalist (that is before she had 4 screaming children on a mission to kill each other with hair brushes), yet I couldn't even swing a B in my English classes.  I've now found that we have much more in common than I would have ever imagined.  However, she is much more censored than I.  Much more.

I grew up believing my father had spit me out.  I have his same attitude, temper, wit, brains, math ability, and I think I look just like him.  I never thought he had a creative bone in his body - fragile bones, but no creative ones.  I knew that he was funny and could crack a good joke under pressure.  And well, I have heard he used to be creative on the dance floor back in his day...something like "The Gator" king.  [I must have married my father because lately John Eric seems to think donkey kicks on the dance floor are the hottest moves out there.]  Then my Aunt Pam pointed out that there is a lot more creativeness on The Anderson (dad) side of the family than I thought.  So maybe I am still his spitting image in the female form and 27 years younger.  [Gah, 27 years doesn't really seem so far apart when you say it out loud.  But I'm glad its 27 and not 16.]  Aunt Pam's daughter, Alex, is amazingly talented.  She makes these hilarious videos and at least one has even been featured on national television.   Yeah, talk about wowzers.  Here is her link and I think you all should go see it. The Katy Perry contest entry one is a must see!

So it seems that I have been blessed from both of my families, and I'm not the only one.  Michaux has a knack for advertising and catch phrases and a really good eye for vintage pieces; she is also great at drawing which she obviously got from my Grandmama, Margaret White.  (She and Alex should get together and make commercials.  Then they should give me 10% for suggesting it.)  Whitney is amazing with interior design and decorating.  And Rivers...well he's really into his career.  Don't get me wrong, we have our down falls.  Boy do we have our downfalls.  Have you ever seen us dance or crossed us the wrong way?  If not, count your blessings. : )   But that's ok, I work on mine everyday.  And to think...all this time I thought I only got the bad genes: dry skin, frizzy hair, sharp tongue, need for waxing, and the "occasional" rotten attitude.  I sure was wrong and I'm so thankful to my parents for making me who I am today...by lesson, genetics, discipline, and unconditional love and support.  So Happy Mother's Day and soon to be Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment